Pages

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Garuda Indonesia kicks off Jakarta-London direct flight

Flag carrier Garuda Indonesia kicked off its direct route from Jakarta to London when one of its Boeing 777-300 ER planes took off from Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang, Banten, on Tuesday to Heathrow International Airport.

The inaugural flight was witnessed, among others, by British Ambassador to Indonesia Moazzam Malik, the Tourism Ministry's official in charge for overseas market development I Gde Pitana and Garuda Indonesia president director Pahala Nugraha Mansury.

"With this, Garuda Indonesia becomes the only airline that has nonstop, fast, convenient and efficient flights from Indonesia to the UK and Europe," said Pahala when attending the event, as quoted in a press statement.

Read also: Garuda postpones US route plans amid Japanese rejection

Garuda Indonesia operates Jakarta-London direct flights three times a week with a flight duration of about 15 hours. The Boeing 777-300 ER has a capacity of 314 seats, with eight for first class, 38 for business class and 268 for economy class.

Pahala said the nonstop route had become a high priority for Garuda, following the opening of Terminal 3 of Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, which recently became the main hub for Garuda Indonesia's international service.

"The nonstop flight is expected to facilitate frequent flyers, who joined SkyTeam to get connections to more destinations," he added, saying that it would allow passengers from the UK to fly onward to Australian cities such as Melbourne, Sydney and Perth. (bbn)


Source: Garuda Indonesia kicks off Jakarta-London direct flight

Monday, October 30, 2017

Jakarta closes hotel targeted by Islamists for alleged vice

JAKARTA, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Indonesia's capital has shut a hotel and spa complex for alleged vice, city officials said on Monday, after Islamist groups in the Muslim-majority country had urged Jakarta's governor to act on a campaign pledge to shut the premises.

The Alexis Hotel, whose website describes it as a "dreamland for men", became embroiled in the city's recent election when the new governor, Anies Baswedan, promised in a televised debate to shut it and accused his predecessor of only acting against more downmarket venues offering vice and drugs.

Edy Junaedi, head of the Jakarta Capital Investment and One-stop Integrated Services (PTSP) agency, confirmed by telephone on Monday that the hotel's permit had not been renewed.

In a letter, the city government said it had decided not to extend the permit after "information circulating in media about forbidden activities", adding that it was required to prevent any immoral and illegal activities.

Islamist groups had previously sent a letter to authorities demanding the hotel be closed, but later called off a proposed protest rally outside the venue for security and technical reasons, state news agency Antara said.

The hotel did not immediately respond to a request for comment and its owner could not be reached.

Media quoted Baswedan as saying the city would take firm action against any businesses conducting "immoral practices".

The governor faced criticism after winning April's Jakarta election with the support of Islamist groups who had agitated for months against his opponent and former governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama - an ethnic Chinese Christian - whom they accused of blasphemy against Islam.

Purnama demolished Jakarta's sprawling Kalijodo red-light district in 2006 as part of a nationwide crackdown on prostitution and also closed a number of notorious Jakarta nightclubs over drug use.

Though illegal in Indonesia, prostitution is rampant in most cities, and the decision to close the Alexis comes as groups like the hardline Islamic Defenders Front (FPI), which has a history of raiding nightclubs and bars, want Baswedan to impose a more "Islamic lifestyle" on the city of more than 10 million.

Novel Bamukmin, head of FPI's Jakarta chapter, has said the group would "push" Baswedan´s administration to gradually close down bars and clubs in a city known for a freewheeling nightlife because "It's immoral and...not Islamic culture".

Sandiaga Uno, Baswedan's deputy, has said the administration would consider setting up "sharia-inspired" or sharia-compliant entertainment spots similar to those in Abu Dhabi or Dubai. (Reporting by Augustinus Beo Da Costa; Additional reporting by Kanupriya Kapoor; Writing by Ed Davies; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.


Source: Jakarta closes hotel targeted by Islamists for alleged vice

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Bukit Duri evictees meet Jakarta governor after class action lawsuit victory

Dozens of Bukit Duri residents who were evicted by the Jakarta administration early this year came to City Hall on Friday morning to meet newly installed Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan. 

The residents hoped to discuss with Anies the administration's plan for the evictees following the class action ruling at the Central Jakarta District Court that granted the lawsuit filed by the evictees regarding the forced eviction in which the administration is obliged to pay each of the 93 plaintiff residents Rp 200 million (US$14,740). 

Anies welcomed the visit, saying he had scheduled to meet the residents next week. 

"We will talk about the compensation so that the administration can fulfill its responsibility in accordance with the residents' needs," Anies said.

On Thursday, Anies said his administration would not file an appeal regarding the court's ruling.

Read also: Bukit Duri eviction declared 'illegal'

Bukit Duri resident and lawyer Vera Soemarwi said the residents would bring up the proposal to develop kampung susun (elevated village) with the governor.

The Jakarta administration under former governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama evicted Bukit Duri residents on Jan. 12, 2016, as part of the administration's efforts to restore Ciliwung River to further decrease flooding in the city.

Opposing the policy, 93 of the residents filed a class action to the Central Jakarta District Court on May 10, 2016 and demanded compensation amounting to Rp 1.07 trillion in material losses and Rp 104 billion in immaterial losses. (rdi/dmr) 


Source: Bukit Duri evictees meet Jakarta governor after class action lawsuit victory

Friday, October 27, 2017

North Jakarta Police arrest middle-aged woman for allegedly selling crystal meth

North Jakarta Police have arrested a 58-year-old woman for allegedly selling and using sabu-sabu (crystal methamphetamine).

North Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Dwiyono said the woman was a meth addict.

 "She sold the drugs so she could keep using," Dwiyono said on Friday as quoted by tempo.co.

Meanwhile, Dwiyono added that police also arrested 46 people in Cilincing, Koja, Tanjung Priok and Penjaringan, for their suspected involvement in drug cases.  

Five of them are suspected of being drug dealers, while 31 are allegedly distributors and the rest users, he added.

Four marijuana-related cases saw police seize 123.36 grams of the drug.

The police also announced on Friday the seizure of 150.05 grams of crystal meth from 32 cases, the drugs of which were worth Rp 300 million (US$ 22,031).

Dwiyono added that drug dealers had become more cautious, opting to sell drugs to acquaintances.

If the dealers did not know the buyers well, they would ask them to transfer the money in advance, he said. (cal)


Source: North Jakarta Police arrest middle-aged woman for allegedly selling crystal meth

Thursday, October 26, 2017

At least 47 killed in Jakarta fireworks blast

The death toll from an explosion at a fireworks factory near Jakarta has risen to 47, police say.

'So far 47 bodies have been found,' Jakarta police chief Idham Aziz said.

All the victims were employees of the fireworks factory in Tangerang, just southwest of Jakarta, local fire department official Oni Sahroni told Metro TV.

Police said in a statement the bodies of the victims were charred beyond recognition and that the initial explosion blew off the factory's roof.

Footage taken by a local resident using a mobile phone showed flames engulfing the factory while residents shouted 'Oh God! oh God!'

The factory, run by PT Panca Buana Cahaya Sukses, had operated for only six weeks, district chief Toni Rustoni said.

DPA


Source: At least 47 killed in Jakarta fireworks blast