Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Indonesians join thousands of soldiers, police at rallies

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — Thousands of Indonesians on Wednesday joined nationwide interfaith rallies organized by the military in an attempt to demonstrate national unity as religious and racial tensions divide the world's most populous Muslim nation.

Police estimated that 30,000 people attended a rally at the national monument in Jakarta, the capital, but said half of them were either from the military or police. Rallies were also held in other big cities.

Security forces are bracing for a second massive protest by conservative Muslims in Jakarta on Friday against the city's minority Christian governor, who is being prosecuted for alleged blasphemy. The first protest, which drew more than 100,000 people on Nov. 4, turned violent, with one person killed and dozens injured after hard-liners clashed with police.

Organizers of Wednesday's rallies, led by the military chief, Gen. Gatot Nurmantyo, also invited students and leaders of the six religions recognized in Indonesia. Groups of people wearing headbands in the red and white colors of the Indonesian flag prayed together and soldiers sang patriotic songs.

"Keeping Indonesia unified is our No. 1 obligation," Nurmantyo told the cheering crowd in Jakarta. "We are gathered today across the nation to show that is true. We are united in the Republic of Indonesia. We are ready to defend our unity of diversity as patriots of the nation."

The national police chief, Gen. Tito Karnavian, was also at the rally.

Jakarta's governor, Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama, is the first ethnic Chinese to hold the position and the first Christian in half a century. He is an ally of President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo, and the accusation of blasphemy has animated their political opponents, including hard-liners who have used the issue to seize a national stage for their extreme agenda, which includes Shariah law.

The Nov. 4 violence forced Jokowi to cancel an official visit to Australia. Since then, he has spent much of his time shoring up his support with mainstream Muslim groups and political and military leaders.

Ahok's blasphemy case took a step forward Wednesday, with the Office of the State Prosecutor announcing that the police dossier on the case had met the requirements for it to go to trial. The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison.

However, hard-line Muslim groups continue to demand that Ahok be arrested. He is campaigning for a second term as Jakarta governor in elections due in February.

Indonesian authorities have said they believe Friday's protest could be a guise for treasonous acts and have tried to discourage organizers from proceeding with it.

After meetings early this week between police and Rizieq Shihab, a firebrand leader of the Islamic Defenders Front, as well as Indonesia's major Islamic organizations, a deal was announced that Friday's protest would be confined to the National Monument area and would consist only of prayers, chanting in praise of God and peaceful sermons.

Associated Press writer Ali Kotarumalos contributed to this report.


Source: Indonesians join thousands of soldiers, police at rallies

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Huge deployment of security forces planned for Jakarta rally

Thousands of Indonesian security forces will be deployed at a rally this week against Jakarta's Christian governor to prevent a repeat of violence that marred a protest earlier this month, police said Tuesday.

About 22,000 officials -- mostly police and soldiers, as well as some paramedics -- will be on the streets for Friday's rally against governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama, who has caused anger in the world's most populous Muslim-majority country by allegedly insulting Islam.

Police said they expect at least 150,000 protesters to turn out for the demonstration against Purnama, who is also a member of Indonesia's small ethnic Chinese minority.

Authorities named Purnama, known by his nickname Ahok, a suspect in a blasphemy investigation this month after Muslim groups demanded that he be prosecuted for allegedly insulting the Koran while campaigning for governorship elections.

The controversy is being seen as a test of religious tolerance in Indonesia, where minorities have increasingly come under attack. Some observers however say it is as much about politics, accusing the governor's rivals of whipping up anger in a bid to reduce his support.

After a massive demonstration against Purnama on November 4 turned violent in its later stages, with one man dying as Muslim hardliners battled police, authorities are taking no chances ahead of Friday's rally.

Police have restricted the area of the protest to a park around a major monument in downtown Jakarta and it will take place from 8:00 am (0100 GMT) to 1:00 pm.

On Tuesday national police spokesman Boy Rafli Amar detailed the number of security forces to be deployed and urged protesters not to bring any weapons.

"It's forbidden to bring sharp weapons, like sharpened bamboo," he told reporters, adding that at the earlier protest some people had used bamboo flagpoles to attack officers.

Several hundred people were injured in the protest violence, which saw demonstrators hurling missiles at police who responded with water cannons and tear gas.

The controversy began in September when Purnama accused his opponents of using a Koranic verse, which suggests Muslims should not choose non-Muslims as leaders, in order to trick people into voting against him.

Even though Purnama has been named a suspect, hardliners are now demanding that he be arrested before an expected trial.

The governor -- who faces up to five years in jail if found guilty -- has vowed that he will still contest the February election.


Source: Huge deployment of security forces planned for Jakarta rally

Monday, November 28, 2016

Police give go-ahead for large-scale rally on Dec. 2

Police have given permission to conservative Islamic groups to organize a large-scale demonstration against Jakarta Governor Basuki "Ahok" Tjahaja Purnama on Friday.

In a press conference at the Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) on Monday, Rizieq Shihab, Islam Defenders Front (FPI) leader and advisory chairman of the National Movement to Safeguard the Indonesian Ulema Council's Fatwa (GNPF-MUI), said police agreed to guard the rally.

"Police and the GNPF-MUI agreed the rally will be conducted on Friday," Rizieq said after meeting National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian at the MUI, as reported by tribunnews.com.

But, he said the GNPF-MUI, which earlier planned to conduct Friday prayers along Jl. MH. Thamrin and Jl. Sudirman during the rally, agreed to organize prayers at the National Monument (Monas) instead.

During the meeting, Tito forbade the group from praying along the streets, asking the group to pray at Istiqlal Grand Mosque.

(Read also: Police to ban use of Jakarta's main roads for Dec. 2 rally)

The group, however, refused to pray at the mosque due to the huge number of protesters expected and finally agreed to hold Friday prayers at Monas, near the State Palace.

Tens of thousands of people, led by the group, staged a rally on Nov. 4, demanding the government prosecute Ahok on allegations of blasphemy.

Police have named Ahok a suspect in the case. (jun)


Source: Police give go-ahead for large-scale rally on Dec. 2

Sunday, November 27, 2016

FPI barges into an apartment, forcing police to arrest several men

Dozens of people led by Islam Defenders Front (FPI) members barged into a Kalibata City apartment in South Jakarta on Saturday night, saying they went there to break up a "sex party" following a tip-off about the alleged event.

The Jakarta Post's source, who requested anonymity due to the sensitivity of the issue, said the mob came at about 11:30 p.m. to one of the towers in the apartment complex. Members of the mob were shouting "Allahu Akbar!"

The source said the police arrived slightly after midnight.

Escorted by the police and apartment security, the mob barged into an apartment unit and found the men inside, who the police took into custody.

FPI's public relations division said on their Twitter account @HumasFPI Sunday that they along with the police "successfully broke up" the alleged sex party. The tweet said they followed an invitation to the party.

Local newspaper Warta Kota said the police confiscated 17 cell phones, two packs of condoms and antiretroviral drugs for HIV/AIDS.

None of the evidence was outlawed material.

The Post's source in the police said the men did not violate any laws. In Indonesia, homosexual sodomy is not outlawed except when it is done with an underaged individual.

Pancoran Police refused to comment on the matter.

--

Indra Budiari contributed to this story


Source: FPI barges into an apartment, forcing police to arrest several men

Saturday, November 26, 2016

BMW Motorrad flagship store opens in Jakarta

PT Maxindo Moto Nusantara (MMN), the authorized distributor and importer of BMW Motorrad in Indonesia, opened a new flagship store in South Jakarta on Saturday in an effort to better serve its customers.

The 4,000 square-meter store provides a retail experience for motorcycle enthusiasts by showcasing up to 35 BMW Motorrad motorcycles, in addition to clothing and other accessories.

"Our aim is to create a 'home' for riders, so whenever they want to hang out or find various necessities for their motorbikes, they can stop by," Joe Frans, MMN's CEO told reporters.

(Read also: Harley-Davidson tries its luck with beginner bikes)

The four-story building has a basement for motorcycle service with 12 service bays.

"In the basement, there are 12 service bays equipped with special tools […] We can repair up to 72 motorcycles a day," MMN's director of sales and marketing Paulus B. Suranto, said.

Among the motorcycles showcased at the flagship store are the R 1200 GS Adventure, priced at Rp 737 million (US$56,000), the R nine T, priced at Rp 600 million and the R 1200 RT for Rp 852 million. (win/jun)


Source: BMW Motorrad flagship store opens in Jakarta