Pages

Friday, March 10, 2017

BTPN opens art space in South Jakarta

A close up of "Fermentation of Nose", a contemporary art piece by Heri Dono displayed in Latar, an art space situated within BTPN Sinaya's new office at the Menara BTPN building in Mega Kuningan, South Jakarta on March 9. (JP/Masajeng Rahmiasri)

Private lender Bank Tabungan Pensiunan Nasional (BTPN) launched an art space in the Menara BTPN building in Mega Kuningan, South Jakarta, on Thursday.

Named Latar, the art space is situated on the building's first floor -- inside the finance funding business unit of BTPN Sinaya's new branch office, which also opened on Thursday. Featuring artworks by selected artists, it is open to customers as well as the general public.

BTPN director Anika Faisal said that Latar, which was named based on the word pelataran (courtyard), had been created to help reawaken the public's interest in local arts. "This is a space for our customers to meet the artists. They may decide to buy or simply marvel at the art," she said.

Architect and curator Budi Lim said that the venue aimed at inviting people to learn more about the artworks. "From what I have observed, artworks are often seen only by curators and art enthusiasts in galleries or at exhibitions. I think this space provides a golden opportunity for the public to familiarize themselves with art," he said.

Read also: Forbidden Forest: Spooky new 'Harry Potter' exhibit to open

The interior of Latar. Among Heri Dono's artworks at the art space is the ceiling-hung "Flying Angels". (JP/Masajeng Rahmiasri)

"I hope that when people happen to be in this [Mega Kuningan] area, they will visit Latar to recharge their souls," he added, citing that art was a form of healing and guidance for the soul.

The art displays in Latar are scheduled for renewal every two months. The space currently features works by Heri Dono in a solo exhibition titled "Yellow Submarine", running until May 10. Heri is a contemporary artist whose works have been displayed in various local and international exhibitions, including Art Stage Singapore 2017 and Jakarta Ceramics Biennale 2016.

Budi said that Heri's work contained social guidance; the installation Fermentation of Nose called on people to be more critical of information, which is relevant to the current issue of hoaxes.

Latar is expected to host other kinds of art in the future, such as photography, design, craft, two- and three-dimensional installations, video, as well as performing arts.

Prior to the exhibition launch, the bank also hosted a talk show about self-healing through art and empowerment for its Sinaya customers. (kes)


Source: BTPN opens art space in South Jakarta

Thursday, March 9, 2017

2 Malaysians leave NKorea after being stranded by travel ban

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Two Malaysian employees of the U.N.'s World Food Program who were stranded in North Korea because of a travel ban have left the country, the U.N. said Thursday. Nine other Malaysians are believed to still be stuck there after the two countries' diplomatic relations broke down over the killing of the estranged sibling of North Korea's leader.

The U.N. employees were among hundreds of ordinary citizens caught up in the escalating diplomatic battle.

The two arrived in Beijing on Thursday, said Jane Howard, the WFP coordinator for global issues. "The staff members are international civil servants and not representatives of their national government," she said.

When North Korea issued its travel ban earlier this week, Malaysia responded in kind, barring North Koreans from leaving its soil. The nine Malaysians still believed to be there are three embassy workers and their family members.

About 1,000 North Koreans are believed to be in Malaysia, until recently one of the few countries where North Koreans could travel without a visa.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said the government was "in the process of establishing the reasons and motives" behind North Korea's drastic measure. He reiterated that diplomatic relations will not be severed to keep the communication line open for negotiations.

Najib said he spoke on the phone to Mohamad Nur Azrin, the counselor at the Malaysian Embassy in North Korea, who told him that all Malaysians there are safe.

"I have given him my assurance that the government will do everything we can to ensure that they return home safely soon. The whole of Malaysia is praying for them," Najib said in a statement on Facebook. "The government will continue to work on reaching the best solution on this issue."

Malaysia has never directly blamed North Korea for the killing of Kim Jong Nam at the Kuala Lumpur airport Feb. 13.

In an attack caught on security camera footage, two women approached Kim as he waited for a flight and wiped something on his face. Malaysian authorities say the substance was VX nerve agent and the two attackers were recruited by a team of North Koreans. North Korea has denied any responsibility and accused Malaysia of being swayed by the North's enemies.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

The women, a Vietnamese and an Indonesian, have been arrested and charged with murder. They say they were duped into thinking they were taking part in a harmless prank.

On Thursday, dozens of Indonesian workers and activists protested the murder charge against the Indonesian suspect, Siti Aisyah, outside the Malaysian embassy in Indonesia's capital, Jakarta.

Men and women from a trade union and several Islamic groups called on the Indonesian government and the international community to investigate the killing of Kim Jong Nam and work to free Aisyah.

One of the speakers at the protest told the crowd it was impossible that a naive migrant worker such as Aisyah could be knowingly involved in the murder. Protesters waved green flags and held up banners such that read "Save Siti Aisyah" and "Siti Aisyah is only a victim of political conspiracy interests."

AP writer Niniek Karmini in Jakarta contributed to this report.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Source: 2 Malaysians leave NKorea after being stranded by travel ban

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Asian Games: Indonesia shrugs off graft, organisation woes

JAKARTA: Organisers of Indonesia's 2018 Asian Games insisted on Wednesday (Mar 8) preparations were on track after the build-up was hit by corruption allegations and concerns about faltering organisation.

With 18 months to go until the start of the world's biggest multi-sport event after the Olympics, the flurry of early problems has sparked worries in a country with a chequered history of hosting international tournaments.

When Indonesia hosted the Southeast Asian Games in 2011, the event was marked by a major corruption scandal, delays in getting venues and infrastructure ready and a deadly stampede at the football final.

The latest graft case centres on allegations that two senior officials from the Indonesian Olympic Committee (KOI) and a man outside the organisation embezzled about US$700,000 from a fund aimed at promoting the games, local media reported.

Police stepped up the probe this week by questioning several KOI officials and plan to quiz Erick Thohir, who is head of the committee as well as president of Italian football team Inter Milan, as a witness in the case.

The Olympic committee, which is part of an ad hoc body set up to organise the games, insisted preparations were not affected by the allegations. "Everything is still being handled well, it's business as usual," KOI spokesman Raja Pane told AFP.

He said the officials under investigation - secretary-general Dody Iswandi and treasurer Anjas Rivai - had been suspended after being named suspects in the case late last year but would only be fired if convicted.

"We cannot just replace them if there hasn't been a verdict," said Pane. While he has not been accused of any wrongdoing, Thohir this week said he was ready to go to prison if convicted of any "mistake".

Fuelling concerns, the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) warned Monday Indonesia faced "huge" challenges to get ready for the games, which will be held in the cities of Jakarta and Palembang, after a visit to assess preparations.

OCA director general Husain Al-Musallam raised concerns about a lack of coordination between bodies carrying out different tasks, such as those building venues, organising the lighting and sound systems.

Jakarta was awarded the games in 2014 after the original host Vietnam withdrew due to financial problems, but the late decision meant the Indonesians had four years to prepare instead of the usual six.

The 18th Asian Games will run from Aug 18 to Sep 2 next year. Indonesia last staged the event in 1962, in Jakarta.


Source: Asian Games: Indonesia shrugs off graft, organisation woes

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

IORA leaders sign Jakarta Concord

REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, JAKARTA -- Leaders of 21 member states of the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) signed the Jakarta Concord as an outcome of the IORA Leaders' Summit held in Jakarta on Tuesday.

The document titled "Promoting Regional Cooperation for a Peaceful, Stable, and Prosperous Indian Ocean" aims to lay the foundation and set the course for cooperation for the organization of Indian Ocean states in the coming years.

In the Jakarta Concord, the IORA states declared their commitment to promoting maritime safety in the region; enhancing trade and investment cooperation in the region; promoting the management and development of sustainable fisheries; enhancing disaster risk management in the region; strengthening academic, science, and technology cooperation; fostering tourism and cultural exchanges; Blue Economy; and empowering women in the economy.

During the IORA Leaders' Summit, President Joko Widodo affirmed that the Indian Ocean is the region of the future. "We believe that the Indian Ocean is currently developing into a key axis in the world," President Widodo stated in his opening remarks during the First Summit of the IORA at the Jakarta Convention Center, here, Tuesday.

The IORA leaders who attended the summit are President of South Africa Jacob Zuma, President of Mozambique Filipe Nyusi, President of Sri Lanka Maithripala Sirisena, Prime Minister of Australia, Prime Minister of Malaysia Najib Tun Abdul Razak, and Yemen President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, among others.

The presence of the IORA leaders and representatives at the Leaders' Summit demonstrates the strong commitment to forging international cooperation to seek various solutions and to utilize opportunities. The IORA states have also agreed on an Action Plan for 2017-2021 that outlines various activities related to the listed priorities for the coming years and comprises various short-, medium-, and long-term initiatives.

The action plan is a significant milestone in IORA's journey and becomes the first of its kind since the establishment of the association two decades ago. In addition, the members of IORA have agreed on a Declaration on Preventing and Countering Terrorism and Violent extremism.

The declaration strengthens the commitment for cooperation in combating the threat of terrorism and violent extremism through cooperation and coordination, dialogue, exchange of information on best practices, as well as combating terrorist ideology and extremism.

Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi stated that the declaration is a reflection of IORA's determination to maintain peace and stability and to promote a positive environment in the Indian Ocean. The IORA countries will also promote positive values, such as tolerance and diversity, as the norms for interaction in the region.

"I strongly believe that these documents, in particular the Jakarta Concord, will reinvigorate IORA's commitment to ensure peace and stability and to realize the Indian Ocean as the ocean of the future," Minister Marsudi emphasized.

Currently, the IORA is a dynamic organization of 21 member states: Australia, Bangladesh, Comoros, India, Indonesia, Iran, Kenya, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mozambique, Oman, the United Arab Emirates, Seychelles, Singapore, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, and Yemen.

In addition, IORA has seven dialogue partners: the US, the UK, Japan, Germany, Egypt, France, and the People's Republic of China. IORA is celebrating its 20th anniversary in March 2017. Indonesia, as the current chair of the IORA, is hosting the first ever IORA Leaders' Summit under the theme "Strengthening Maritime Cooperation for a Peaceful, Stable and Prosperous Indian Ocean" on Mar 7.

The leaders' summit was preceded by a Committee of Senior Officials' meeting on March 5 and a Council of Ministers' meeting on Mar 6.


Source: IORA leaders sign Jakarta Concord

Monday, March 6, 2017

Papua and Montara oil spill raised with Julie Bishop in Jakarta talks

Jakarta: The sensitive topics of Papua and the impact of the worst oil spill in the history of Australia's offshore petroleum fields have been raised in talks with Foreign Minister Julie Bishop in Indonesia.

The Indonesian Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs Luhut Pandjaitan said the "openness of Papua" had been discussed and revealed Ms Bishop had agreed to visit the province later this year.

Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop attends the Indian Ocean Rim Association summit in Jakarta. Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop attends the Indian Ocean Rim Association summit in Jakarta. Photo: Supplied

"We love to see other countries visit Papua to have a look at what is really going on," Mr Pandjaitan said.

The proposed visit comes as seven Pacific nations last week called on the United Nations to investigate allegations of widespread human rights violations in Indonesia's restive Papuan province.

Vanuatu's Justice Minister Ronald Warsal said various UN bodies had raised concerns about extrajudicial executions and beatings of West Papuan activists committed by Indonesian security forces.

The Indonesian Foreign Ministry replied last week that Vanuatu's statement did not reflect the current situation in Papua, which had seen big changes under the leadership of President Joko Widodo, with infrastructure development boosted to improve the quality of life of the Papuan people.

Ms Bishop said she planned to return to Indonesia later this year for a range of reasons including the opening of the new Consulate General in Surabaya. 

"There hopefully will be an opportunity for me to visit Papua at that time," she said.

There has been a deep-seated mistrust of Australia's position on Papuan independence among some elements of Indonesian society ever since Australia's intervention in East Timor in 1999.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull emphasised that he had assured President Jokowi, as he is popularly known, of Australia's commitment to Indonesia's sovereignty and territorial integrity during his visit to Sydney last month.

He said the 2006 Lombok Treaty, which recognises Indonesian sovereignty over Papua, was "the bedrock of our strategic and security relationship".

Meanwhile Mr Pandjaitan said he and Ms Bishop had also discussed the 2009 Montara oil spill, which fishermen and seaweed farmers from East Nusa Tenggara say devastated their livelihoods.

More than 13,000 seaweed farmers have launched a $200 million class action in the Federal Court in Sydney against PTTEP Australasia, a subsidiary of Thai state-owned oil company PTTEP.

The Indonesian Government is also planning to file a lawsuit against PTTEP Australasia in the Central Jakarta District Court.

"Australia as a very good partner can do something also to help the people of the area in eastern part of Indonesia especially in that Montara area," Mr Pandjaitan said.

Ms Bishop said the Australian Embassy was continuing to work with Indonesian authorities in relation to the oil spill.

"It will be a matter before the courts so there is a limit to what I can add to it," she said.

"But we most certainly had a very open and frank discussion about the matter and we will continue to work closely with Indonesian authorities to the extent we can."

Follow Jewel Topsfield on Facebook


Source: Papua and Montara oil spill raised with Julie Bishop in Jakarta talks