Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Travel ban: US appeals court rejects White House request to reinstate executive order

Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump at Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, on Saturday where he told reporters: 'For the safety of the country, we'll win.' Photograph: Carlos Barria/Reuters

The US appeals court has denied the justice department's request for an immediate reinstatement of Donald Trump's controversial travel ban.

The ninth US circuit court of appeals in San Francisco made the ruling early on Sunday morning, and asked those challenging the ban to respond to the appeal filed by the Trump administration late on Saturday night, and the justice department to file a counter-response by Monday afternoon.

"Appellants' request for an immediate administrative stay pending full consideration of the emergency motion for a stay pending appeal is denied," the ruling said.

The justice department had earlier filed an appeal against a judge's order lifting the ban, as the new administration's flagship immigration policy threatened to unravel after one week.

The higher court's denial of an immediate stay means legal battles over the ban will continue into the coming week at least.

After the appeal was lodged on Saturday, Trump told reporters at his private Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida: "We'll win. For the safety of the country, we'll win."

The president's comments followed a personal attack on US district judge James Robart, the Seattle-based justice who made the court ruling on Friday that questioned the constitutionality of Trump's order banning entry to the US by people from seven mainly Muslim countries.

Seattle judge temporarily blocks Trump's travel ban

But the justice department filing warned that Robart's ruling posed an immediate harm to the public, thwarted enforcement of an executive order and "second-guesses the president's national security judgment about the quantum of risk posed by the admission of certain classes of (non-citizens) and the best means of minimizing that risk".

The filing also criticised Robart's legal reasoning, saying it violated the separation of powers and stepped on the president's authority as commander-in-chief. The appeal said the state of Washington lacked standing to challenge the order and said Congress gave the president "the unreviewable authority to suspend the admission of any class of visitor".

Earlier on Saturday, Trump had unleashed a Twitter assault on Robart. "The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!" Trump tweeted.

Trump, who has said "extreme vetting" of refugees and immigrants is needed to prevent terrorist attacks, continued to criticise the decision in tweets throughout Saturday.

"The judge opens up our country to potential terrorists and others that do not have our best interests at heart. Bad people are very happy!" he tweeted.

The justice department's appeal promises to create a showdown between the new administration and the judiciary over a policy that Trump consistently promised to deliver while on the campaign trail.

But the ban's implementation has also placed under close scrutiny the role of the authors of the travel ban order – Trump's strategist Steve Bannon and aide Steven Miller – as the administration tries to assert its authority on the Washington bureaucracy.

After a week of chaos at airports across the US since the ban was imposed, the Department of Homeland Security said on Saturday it would return to its normal procedures for screening travellers as it lifted the restrictions in accordance with the court ruling.

Refugees and thousands of travellers from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen who had been prevented from travelling since last weekend by Trump's executive order scrambled to get flights to quickly enter the US.

Immigration advocacy groups including the American Civil Liberties Union and International Refugee Assistance Project issued a joint statement on Saturday urging those with now-valid visas from the seven nations "to consider rebooking travel to the United States immediately" because the ruling could be overturned or put on hold.

A US state department email seen by Reuters said the department was working to begin admitting refugees, including Syrians, as soon as Monday.

A three-judge panel made the decision to uphold the order pending the further filings. The panel consists of appointees of George W Bush and two former Democratic presidents, Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama.

The travel ban brought protests across the US and the world at the weekend. There were demonstrations in New York, Philadelphia and Los Angeles as well as in other cities, and also outside Trump's Florida resort on Saturday night where he was attending a ball with his wife, Melania. There were also protests in London, Paris, Berlin, Jakarta, Manila, Hong Kong, Sydney and Melbourne.

Trump's attack on Robart also brought an angry response from Democrats. Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader in the House, said: "No matter how many times the president attacks this judge … it won't change the fact that this ban is unconstitutional, immoral and dangerous."

Democratic senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont said in a statement on Saturday that Trump's "hostility toward the rule of law is not just embarrassing, it is dangerous. He seems intent on precipitating a constitutional crisis".

Criticising the judge's decision could make it tougher for justice department attorneys as they seek to defend the executive order in Washington state and other courts, said Jonathan Turley, a law professor at George Washington University.

Presidents were usually circumspect about commenting on government litigation. "It's hard for the president to demand that courts respect his inherent authority when he is disrespecting the inherent authority of the judiciary. That certainly tends to poison the well for litigation," Turley said.

It is unusual for a president to attack a member of the judiciary, which the US constitution designates as a check to the power of the executive branch and Congress. Reached by email on Saturday, Robart declined to comment on Trump's tweets.

"Read the 'so-called' Constitution," tweeted Representative Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House intelligence committee.

In an interview with ABC scheduled to air on Sunday, the vice-president, Mike Pence, said he did not think Trump's criticisms of the judge undermined the separation of powers. "I think the American people are very accustomed to this president speaking his mind and speaking very straight with them," Pence said, according to an excerpt of the interview.

The court ruling was the first move in what could be months of legal challenges to Trump's push to clamp down on immigration.

The sudden reversal of the ban catapulted would-be immigrants back to airports, with uncertainty over how long the window to enter the US will remain open.

In Erbil, the capital of the Kurdish region of northern Iraq, Fuad Sharef and his family prepared to fly on Saturday to Istanbul and then New York before starting a new life in Nashville, Tennessee.

"I am very happy that we are going to travel today. Finally, we made it," said Sharef, who was stopped from boarding a New York-bound flight last week.


Source: Travel ban: US appeals court rejects White House request to reinstate executive order

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Philippines sees protests against Donald Trump's immigration policy

Indonesian and Filipino students have protested against President Donald Trump's immigration policy outside the US embassies in their capitals.

In Jakarta, dozens of students and activists called on the Indonesian government and the international community to help stop Mr Trump's order that temporarily banned travellers from seven predominantly Muslim countries.

They waved banners such as "I'm angry with Trump" and "No ban, no wall" during Saturday's peaceful protest.

Rights activist Veronica Koman, who organised the protest, said that Mr Trump's "xenophobic" policy will have a significant impact on people fleeing war-torn countries who are currently in Indonesia.

Nearly 14,000 refugees are in Indonesia seeking resettlement in third countries.

A similar rally was held outside the US embassy in the Philippine capital, Manila.

AP


Source: Philippines sees protests against Donald Trump's immigration policy

Friday, February 3, 2017

Jakarta launches task force to curb illegal levies

The Jakarta administration inaugurated on Friday a unit that will lead the effort to fight against illegal levies at a regional level.

Acting Jakarta governor Sumarsono said during the launch that the unit, called the Illegal Levies Eradication Unit, was formed in accordance with the mandate of President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo to eradicate rampant illegal levies throughout the public service.

"I hope the unit will be able to detect and come up with effective ways to scrap the levies," he said at City Hall.

The launch was attended by representatives of many government institutions, including the Jakarta Police, the Jakarta Military Command, the Ombudsman and the National Intelligence Agency (BIN).

Sumarsono said the unit would be manned by 287 personnel, comprising 43 officials from the Jakarta provincial administration and 244 from the province's five municipalities and one regency.

"The unit will follow up on complaints and reports from residents on illegal levies within the city administration," he said, the practice usually occurs during processes such as the issuing of business permits, certificates, ID cards or passports.

He added that residents could report any demands for illegal levies through the website inspektorat.jakarta.go.id/lapor-pungli.


Source: Jakarta launches task force to curb illegal levies

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Hyundai Rotem trains for Jakarta LRT

HYUNDAI Rotem confirmed on February 2 that it has been awarded a contract to supply rolling stock for the Jakarta LRT project.

The order for 16 two-car 1067mm-gauge trains is worth $US 33m and the total value of the order could reach $US 200m if options for up to 94 additional trains are exercised.

The Rupiah 11.9 trillion first phase of the elevated LRT network comprises Section 1 of Line 1 from Cibubur to Cawang (14.5km), Section 2 of Line 1 from Cawang to Dukuh Atas (10.5km) and the initial section of Line 2 from East Bekasi to Cawang (17.5km).

An 5.8km five-station section of Line 1 is due to open in time for the 2018 Asian Games, which will be held in Jakarta in August 2018.

The second phase of the network will add extensions at both ends of Line 1 together with a third line from Palmerah to Tomang and Grogol.


Source: Hyundai Rotem trains for Jakarta LRT

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Indonesian women seeking to become IS suicide bombers: study

A study by the Jakarta-based Institute for Policy Analysis of Conflict says there is an increasing eagerness among Indonesian women to get involved in radicalism themselves, rather than merely support their extremist husbands © Provided by AFP A study by the Jakarta-based Institute for Policy Analysis of Conflict says there is an increasing eagerness among Indonesian women to get involved in radicalism themselves, rather than merely support their extremist husbands

Indonesian women are taking on a more active role in violent extremism, with some seeking to become Islamic State (IS) group suicide bombers, a leading security think tank has warned.

The growing problem was highlighted after the arrest in December of two women with links to IS allegedly planning suicide attacks in the world's most populous Muslim-majority country, according to a report from the Jakarta-based Institute for Policy Analysis of Conflict (IPAC).

Many from Indonesia -- which has long struggled with Islamic militancy -- have flocked to join IS in the Middle East, while radicals in the country have pledged allegiance to the group and attacks and plots have been linked to the jihadists.

But the increasing eagerness of Indonesian women to get involved in radicalism themselves, rather than merely support their extremist husbands, poses new risks, said the report from IPAC, which is headed by veteran Indonesian security analyst Sidney Jones.

"Indonesian women in extremist organisations are now catching up with the lethal practices of their sisters in other parts of the world," according to the study.

Increasing female involvement is linked to the appeal of IS but also to the growing sophistication of social media, which allows more women to read the jihadists' propaganda and take part in radical chat forums, said the report, which was released late Tuesday.

The most high-profile cases were the arrest of two former domestic workers, Dian Yulia Novi and Ika Puspitasari, who had allegedly volunteered to become suicide bombers in Jakarta and Bali.

Leading Indonesian IS radical Bahrun Naim, who has been accused of directing a series of mostly botched terror plots in his homeland from Syria, had given them instructions and financial support, the report said.

Authorities detained Novi and her husband the night before a planned attack on the presidential palace in Jakarta and later picked up Puspitasari, who was part of the same network and had been planning to carry out a bombing on the holiday island of Bali, the report said.

Other women have been arrested for offences including setting up a pro-IS charity, helping to make a bomb, and being fighters with a militant group on Sulawesi island.

IPAC called for the Indonesian government to try to find out more about female radical networks, including interviewing the many women who have been deported from Turkey after allegedly trying to cross into Syria to join IS.

"The need to know more about Indonesian extremist women suddenly has become urgent," it said.

Indonesia's national counter-terror agency declined to comment.


Source: Indonesian women seeking to become IS suicide bombers: study